Growing Jobs, Business, Parks and Infrastructure
Growing Jobs & Businesses
Making the process of starting a business easier was one Matt’s main focuses as Mayor. Under his leadership Lakeville saw 9.4% business growth as he streamlined the meeting and application requirements. Bureaucracy should not get in the way of great entrepreneurs and Matt is committed to making sure we are doing everything we can to promote good jobs and opportunities. At the legislature, Matt has maintained a pro-business approach by supporting workforce development that keeps Minnesota competitive. Of all his achievements, Matt is still most proud of getting a Chipotle to open in Lakeville.
- Renewed funding for Economic Development Job Creation Fund.
- Advocate for Emerging Entrepreneurship program to fund small businesses started by women, minorities, veterans and Minnesotans with disabilities.
Matt voted for over $1 billion dollars of tax cuts that went back to the hard working people in the district. That included tax cuts for middle income earners, business property tax levies, farmers, homesteads and a larger social security tax subtraction. Matt strongly believes we can invest responsibly in the future of the state without overburdening taxpayers. He knows that the taxpayers in District 58 want value for every dollar sent to St. Paul. That means investing wisely and prudently in important programs, and keeping taxes low whenever possible.
- Voted for tax relief for middle income earners, social security recipients and statewide business property tax levies.
- Co-author of legislation to make grain bin purchasing tax exempt.
- Wrote bill for tax exemption in volunteer firefighter pensions.
Parks & Infrastructure
Matt knows two of Minnesota’s best investments are it’s parks and infrastructure. As mayor, he built and maintained great parks that fostered vibrant communities, and higher property values. Matt also knows that a healthy business climate, demands good roads and bridges to expand access to jobs and develop a modern transportation system. Infrastructure projects create economic opportunities across the state, make things safer for transporting goods and reduce the length of your commute.
- Extended Metro Mobility service to Lakeville.
- Bonding money for Whitetail Woods and Byllesby Regional Park.
- Authored bipartisan bill to increase MnDot project transparency and bring more dollars to the district.
As the former Mayor of Lakeville, Matt knows the people best equipped to address the everyday needs of cities and townships are the folks on local councils and boards. Matt’s beliefs have not changed in the State Senate, and he has continued to support money for municipal aid and projects that develop local economies like the I-35 Orange Line extension into Lakeville and the expansion of the Kenrick Park & Ride. He has also secured funding for crucial improvements to the Dennison Sewage Treatment and Byllsby Dam projects.
- Funded transportation study for Kenrick Avenue Park and Ride expansion.
- Voted for continued funding of MN Investment fund for local jobs.
- Secured bonding money for projects such as the Byllebsy Dam, Dakota SMART Center and Dennison Sewage Treatment Improvement.