Matt has been serving seniors his entire career. As a member of city government, he helped to open the Heritage Center to expand senior and veteran services in Lakeville. In 2019, after six years of work, Matt got Metro Mobility to expand to Lakeville; providing affordable transportation that enables seniors to live more independent, comfortable lives. Matt also co-sponsored bipartisan legislation to make social security benefits exempt from income tax and put more money in the pockets of seniors. Finally, Matt has strongly supported the efforts to reform elder care across the state to keep seniors safe. Matt believes we must respect and repay the enormous debt we owe to our elders. They have earned the right to retire comfortably, with access to excellent health care.
- Metro Mobility extended to Lakeville through bonding money.
- Supported increased tax deduction on social security benefits.
- Voted for increased protections to prevent elder abuse, allowing families more oversight on elder care.
Expanding Veteran Opportunities
Whether it’s advocating to restore vital funding for reintegration services, fighting off proposed cuts to the MN National Guard, or making sure veterans keep their housing, Matt shows up for veterans. He has made sure the sacrifices our veterans have made are honored. He also works to bring visibility to the struggle of veterans and co-authored a bill to recognize Veteran Suicide Awareness day to bring attention to these challenges.
- Blocked proposed cuts to MN National Guard.
- Fought for housing protections and expanded employment opportunities for veterans.
- Co-Authored bill creating Veteran Suicide Awareness Day.
Backing Our First Responders
Matt has been a strong advocate for first responders throughout his career. He has worked to ensure they have the technology, equipment, and personnel needed to do their jobs effectively. Matt secured funding for the Dakota SMART Center, a facility that trains first responders on handling mental health crises. He also supported the efforts of law enforcement to pass the Hand’s Free Cell Use bill to curb distracted driving. Additionally, Matt has worked to preserve police and firefighter pensions and expand tax deductions to long term volunteer firefighters to ensure their years of work are honored.
- Supported Hands Free Cell Phone bill with support from law enforcement to curtail distracted driving.
- Wrote bill to provide tax exemption to firefighters pensions, extend pensions to longtime volunteer firefighters.
- Bonding money for Dakota SMART Center to train first responders on mental health crisis prevention.
Promoting Gun Safety
During Matt’s time in the state legislature, he has worked tirelessly to engage with both gun-owners and student advocates who want to feel safe in their schools. Working with those groups and with lawmakers across the aisle, Matt has advocated for solutions which are supported by a majority of Minnesotans. To protect gun sellers, Matt supports extending background checks to private gun sales (with exceptions for family and law enforcement) which will both aid in apprehending dangerous criminals and help protect sellers from liability. And to protect domestic violence survivors, Matt has supported red flag laws with strong procedural safeguards.
- Co-authored bipartisan legislation to extend background checks to private gun sales while exempting transfers between law enforcement and ones between family members.
- Co-sponsored bipartisan bill to require reporting of lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement within.
- Worked to ensure that any red flag laws do not infringe upon due process of citizens.